Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nice Butt

So here it is. My 2nd smoke. The rub and vinegar sauce I found on some of the smokin forums. I did however adjust the rub to replace Kosher salt with the celery salt. I might not have mentioned this in the previous post but I did pick up a remote wireless temperature probe. This is a must have. The outside unit has a probe that goes into the meat. The indoor unit displays the temp, so you dont have to open up the smoker every time you want to check it. This only has one probe though, there is another one out on the market that has dual probes, one for the cabinet temp and one for the meat. Or two for the meat.

Pulled Pork Rub

1C Paprika
2 1/2 TBS ground black pepper
2 1/2 TBS celery salt
2 1/2 TBS chili powder
1 1/2 TBS garlic powder
1 1/2 TBS onion powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
7 1/2 pound Boston Butt Pork (From Albertsons)

The night before I prepared the butt by taking some EVOO and spreading it on the butt. I then sprinkled the rub on the butt and then rubbed the butt. I wrapped it up in plastic wrap and placed it in the fridge over night.
















5am Loaded 4 hours worth of Apple pucks into the BDS and preheated to 220. Took the butt of of the fridge and unwrapped it. Applied more rub.

5:30am Loaded the butt into the BDS and started the smoke

10:15am Checked IT 145

12:30pm Checked IT 159

4pm Checked IT 170

8pm IT was at 190

Went to the BDS and opened up. Wow what a site. The smell was awesome, I had to suffer smelling this smoke/cook all day. I checked temp of the rest of the butt and it was good. Pulled the butt out and wrapped it in foil to rest. Very hard to resist, the smell was intense.
Let it rest 30 mins which was hard to do as we were ready to eat. We pulled the meat apart. Man it was awesome. Just fell right apart. Just used a couple of forks and got the job done.


I created a Vinegar based sauce earlier it went something like this:

1C white vinegar
1C cider vinegar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp cayenne
1TBS red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Finished:
































I prepared my pulled pork on a bun covered with some cole slaw and some of the sauce. My girlfriend put a little bit of honey BBQ sauce on hers without the bun. It would have been GTG without anything to tell you the truth.

All in all awesome, I think. The girlfriend said "Quite tasty!!" I asked her if she would say anything else and she said "I would have said it needs a little work or not bad."

I am hooked on smokin now. It took a while, but I knew from what I have read that if you want to produce good results its got to be low and slow. Nothing good is going to happen fast.

Went to Tom Thumb last night. They had brisket on sale for .99/LB. Got a nice size brisket and put it in the freezer.

I think I am going to try some smoked salmon or chicken next.

No comments: