Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lets Try Chicken!!

7-13-08

In being fair to all of the food groups(Pork,Beef,Chicken,Beer), I thought it would be a good to try some chicken out in the smoker. I found this recipe on one of the smoker forums and it looked too good to pass up.

4 skin on chicken thighs

1 stick unsalted butter

7 cloves garlic this might have been a little much..:)

chopped basil leaves



I mixed the softened butter, chopped garlic, and chopped basil up in a small bowl. I let this set for a little bit for the flavors to get happy.


I then took the thighs and gently lifted up the skin on one end and placed a spoon full of the butter mixture under the skin. Next I smooshed this all around under the skin being careful not to break the skin. I then took a piece of bacon and wrapped up the open end of the chicken and secured it with a toothpick. On the piece that I was claimed I also tucked some chopped jalepenos under the skin and put a little hot sauce on it.
















I preheated the smoker to 220 and placed 2 hours worth of mesquite in. When the smoker was preheated I put the chicken in. Cooked until the IT was safe, this took about 2 hours.

I took them out of the smoker. To really crisp up the skin and bacon I put them in the oven on broil for 3 minutes on each side.

Oh yeah to go along with the chicken I made up some roasted potatoes (Thanks to Stan the man). Took some red new potatoes chopped them in half, red onions not really chopped just cut in large chucks, and a few garlic cloves. Put these on a baking sheet drizzled with EVOO and dried parsley. Mixed them around on the sheet and placed the potatoes cut side down. I then placed them into the oven for about 45 mins at 425.

Ok so on to the results.

No comments: