Monday, August 4, 2008

Tri-Tip...well sort of

I went to a restaurant called Texas Land and Cattle. They have a smoked sirloin there that was pretty good. They dont say what cut of beef it is and I havent been there in awhile to ask so I did some research and it sounds like it is a tri-tip. Since then I have been on the search to find a tri-tip. These are not a easy cuts to locate in the stores. There are only 2 cuts on a whole cow. My search took me to a lot of various stores. I ended up at Whole Foods, which is really where I should have started. They have a great quality of meat. I asked the butcher there. He said that he could get a tri-tip cut but it would need to be specially cut, he did however say that he has a top sirloin that would be pretty dare close. I opted to go with that. There is a old style meat market in Lewisville that I am going to try next or just go back to Whole Foods and have them make a special request cut for the true tri-tip.

It was about 2 1/2 Lbs I just put some cracked pepper and dried thyme on the top and that was it. Pretty simple.




I smoked it for about 1 1/2 hours at a temp of 210-220 using hickory. When it reached IT of 135, I like mine med rare, I took it out. After a good rest I cut it open.





It was mighty tasty. I sliced it up pretty thin and enjoyed. I would have liked some more smoke flavor to it, but since it didnt stay in the smoker long enough that is why. Next time I will try to lower the temp of the smoker a little bit to prolong the smoke.

This weekend I am going to Lake LBJ, its close to Austin. I plan on smoking a brisket starting on Thursday night and take it for everyone to enjoy. This will be my first attempt with a brisket and also first time for a crowd so kind of nervous. I am sure it will be fine...:)

1 comment:

Jetjohnson said...

Dang, Andy, that looks good! I'm sure that you're right. The brisket will turn out fine, but we're waiting to hear what the jury says.

Love from Korea,
Suzanne